Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hey good lookin'! Whatcha got cookin'!?

I posted this on my MXB's blog, Practical GRITS, today so I thought I'd post on my personal blog as well...


Today was my day off so I have made a promise to myself to get things done on my days off.  That includes laundry, cleaning, errands and having dinner ready for when my hubby gets home from work.  Crock pots are a life saver because they let me do just that - get all my errands and chores done while dinner is cooking away all day and I haven't wasted 3 hours preparing, chopping, cooking, steaming and baking.  Tonight's dinner was Crock Pot Chicken and Black Beans did it smelled delish cooking all day!!  Below is the recipe and guess what - I was a "bargain shopper" on this one because we already had all of the ingredients in our cabinet.  Of course it's Mexican so I knew we'd love it.  It's definitely different but it was a nice change to the tacos and fajitas we usually eat.


Crock Pot Chicken and Black Beans
  • 3 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in strips



  • 1 can (12 to 15 ounces) corn, drained



  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained



  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin



  • 2 teaspoons chili powder



  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced



  • 1 green bell pepper, cut in strips



  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes



  • 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste


  • Combine all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on LOW about 6 hours.
    I left out the green peppers and I only add 1 1/2 tsp of cumin.  But do what suits your taste.  Now warm some tortillas.  Place your crock pot mixture in the tortilla, add lettuce, cheese and sour cream.  Roll it up and you have a fabulous burrito!
    ENJOY! :)

    1 comment:

    1. Yum! I will have to try this out - does it cook on low for 8 hours?

      ReplyDelete