Monday, October 11, 2010

Yummy Soups

Kyle hasn't been feeling well the past few days so I made my Grandma's homemade vegetable beef soup yesterday and it was delish.  And actually, for the first time ever, it came pretty close to tasting just like my Grandma's!  I was pumped!

Today I was still in the mood for soup and Kyle was too so I thought I'd try and make a soup with chicken.  I google'd "crock pot chicken and pasta soup" and found this delicious recipe.

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken-Pasta Soup

1 1/4pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
1/2cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2cup halved pitted ripe olives
2cloves garlic, finely chopped
1carton (32 ounces) Progresso® chicken broth
1can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2cup uncooked small shell pasta

  1. Mix all ingredients except pasta in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
  3. About 30 minutes before serving, stir in pasta. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Make the Most of This Recipe
Serve-With
Thick slices of hearty Italian bread drizzled with olive oil complete this Italian soup meal.
Do-Ahead
The night before, cut up all of the components for this slow cooker soup. Package them separately and refrigerate. In the morning, assemble the soup in minutes.
Special Touch
Sprinkle each serving of soup with grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.

I'm all about using the crock pot, especially when our schedules are hectic and busy.  It's definitely a lifesaver!  I used chicken breasts because that's what we already had at home, but would probably try the chicken thighs next time.  The chicken breasts were a little dry but it was still super yummy and I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMO!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!! Sorry to hear Kyle isn't feeling well. I hope he doesn't have "the sickness". If so, my advice, go to the doctor and insist on an antibiotic ASAP!!! Mine got waaay to out of control!! Kick that mess to the curb fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using chicken thighs. They have such good flavor and they don't dry out! And this soup has olives! I heart olives! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete